710 Main Street
Visible for miles around, the imposing beautiful neoclassical structure is the focal point of the central business district and the fifth structure to serve as a county courthouse. Austin architect C.H. Page designed the building, projecting porticoes supported by Ionic columns, and classic pediment and balustrade detailing. The courthouse was restored to its original splendor in 2007. Please contact the Williamson Museum for the tour schedule.
817 S. Main St.
We invite you to experience a gracious chapel, steeped in history. Set on the edge of the historic downtown Square in Georgetown’s Arts & Culture District, Grace Heritage Center is available for public tours on Thursdays and Fridays, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and on First Fridays from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Grace also serves as the business office of Preservation Georgetown during those hours. Rentals of Grace can be arranged through the Georgetown Public Library at 512-930-3552.
810 South Austin Avenue
The Palace Theatre in the historic downtown district is home to a year-round season of live theater productions including musicals, comedies, and dramas. This former movie house was renovated and in 2001 opened as a live theater venue.
circa 1885. M.B. Lockett’s prominence as a successful dry goods merchant is reflected in this impressive limestone and brick building, which was remodeled in 1896. One of Georgetown’s most outstanding examples of High Victorian commercial architecture, it features Mesker Brothers cast iron columns, an oriel windows and decorative pressed metal cornice.
119 W. 7th Street
circa 1903. This pressed metal storefront is one of the nearly 5,000 sold by the St. Louis firm of Mesker Brothers between 1884 and 1907. Marketed by catalog and shipped by rail, these metal fronts offered affordable yet stylish alternatives for the “public” facades of buildings. H.C. Craig Furniture store opened in this building in 1903.
115 W. 7th Street
circa 1907. Shortly after the turn of the 20th century, this block of one-story commercial spaces was completed. The limestone structure featured a plastered front with handsome segmental arched openings.
107-111 E. 7th Street
circa 1902. Hand-hewn limestone was used to exemplify the Romanesque Revival style, popular in Texas in the early 1900’s. The three-dimensional quality of the richly carved details is a dramatic contract to the utilitarian austerity of the Shaffer Building next door.
713 Main Street
circa 1890. Hand-hewn limestone, cast iron, and pressed metal components were creatively combined in this noteworthy Victorian commercial building. Nameplates from the Mesker Brothers ironworks are visible on the first floor pilasters. The building is still owned by the descendants of the Dimmitt family.
719 Main Street
Departing from the local tradition of limestone, these buildings feature imported brick facades accented by cast iron columns attributed to F. Heireman, an Austin metalwork company. Originally each featured identical metal hood molds over the windows and crowning metal cornices. A stepped brick parapet later replaced the cornice on 709 Main. Both buildings are owned by the Williamson County Sun which has published from this located since 1934.
707-709 Main Street
With its wooden storefront, recessed double-door entry, and decorative metal cornice, this early store typified commercial building traditions of its day. Early records indicate its use as a grocery store, followed by continuous retail and grocery occupation.
117 W. 7th Street
circa 1971. An early wooden structure on this site once housed a restaurant, a barber shop and a pool hall and confectionery, but by 1925 the site was empty. City offices were moved into the present structure in 1971.
103 W. 7th Street
circa 1885. An early limestone structure with carved cornices stands beneath the modern stucco facade. Early uses of the building included a local lodge meeting hall on the second floor, and a hardware/grocery store and later, the county’s oldest newspaper, the Williamson County Sun, on the first floor. Now city owned, it houses the Georgetown History and Visitor Information Center.
101 W. 7th Street
811 Main Street
Williamson County’s first six commissioners met here under a stately oak tree in May 1848 to choose a location for the county seat. George Washington Glasscock offered to donate the land he owned jointly with Thomas B. Huling as a site for the county seat. The land was bounded by the oak tree at one corner and the San Gabriel River to the north and west. The commissioners named the town Georgetown in Glasscock’s honor.